Zipaquirá and Villa de Leyva Tour
Learn about the history of the charming town of Villa de Leyva from your guide before moving on.
Let yourself be conquered by the beauty of the main attractions in Villa de Leyva; Colombian municipality located in the department of Boyacá. Enjoy a private trip for you, exploring Santo Ecce Homo Convent, Terracotta House, Vinedo Karim. Delight yourself feeling in the colonial era walking the main square of this beautiful town, its typical restaurants and international food.
Begin your tour with hotel pickup in the morning and a scenic drive out to Villa de Leyva. On the way, enjoy the delicious staple of arepas, corn cakes that are often grilled or fried. Upon arrival in Villa de Leyva, step out and walk through the ancient streets lined with colonial-style houses that have remained mostly untouched since their construction. Founded in 1572, Villa de Leyva is famous for its cobblestone square Plaza Mayor, which at 150,695 square feet (14,000 sq. m) is the largest in Colombia. Learn about the history of the charming town from your guide before moving on.
Head next to Zipaquirá, where you wander below ground into an enormous salt mine. Your guide teaches you about the history of salt and salt mining as you explore the beautifully lit cavern, eventually reaching the Salt Cathedral. The church was originally built in 1932 as a place for miners to offer daily prayers, and was inaugurated in 1954. Today it is a fully functional church with weekly service held on Sundays. Spend time in the unique cathedral before returning to the surface and heading back to Bogotá.
- Guided tour of Villa de Leyva and Zipaquirá Salt Cathedral
- Admission fees (Terracota House, Santo EcceHomo Convent, Vineyard Ain Karim, Salt Cathedral in Zipaquira)
- Roundtrip transportation to and from your Bogotá hotel
- Food and beverages not listed as inclusions
- Tip (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- You must be able to walk on unpaved or uneven terrain
- Hotel pickup is available from most centrally located Bogota hotels.
- Please arrange pickup from your hotel or a nearby location when you call to confirm your reservation.
- This activity operates in most weather conditions.
- You should wear comfortable walking shoes